Don't know if you have noticed some weird stuff going on with my blog lately, but if you have, it's because I've been trying to fix it up a little, and me and html coding just don't mix...
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that Virkverket, one of the blogs that I read regulary, had got one of those neat little boxes on the bottom of the blog posts, similar to the like-button on Facebook. It's a nice way to see what people think, even if they don't have time to log in and leave a comment. So I asked her how to do it, and it's really not that complicated! At least it shouldn't be...
First of all, you can try by going into the 'Layout' tab of your blog. Then click on 'Edit' in the lower right corner of the 'Blog posts' section, and you'll see what to do :)
So I tried to do all that, and nothing happened. No neat little boxes on my blog... Then I tried to reset my settings to the default template or whatever (but of course I downloaded my old template first), and my blog went back to the standard Minima template, and all my widgets were gone. And still no boxes... It said that it would be easy to retrieve your old settings, but of course after the whole thing changed I couldn't figure out how to do that. I was stuck, and all my stuff was gone. I thought. Don't know what I did to get my widgets back, but I did it somehow. At that point I was so angry I wanted to throw my laptop across the room, but instead I uploaded my old template and decided I'd live without the boxes...
I tried to add boxes to my other blogs as well, and the only one that it worked on was my pattern blog. Weird... I figured that was because I haven't installed some fancy ready-made template on it, but simply added a pretty background.
Yesterday I decided to try again, after another blogger (SUADDA) linked to this great site which explains step by step how to fix things by editing the html codes of the blog. You can find it HERE, but it's in Swedish... I can't remember exactly what I did, but at some point the boxes actually appeared on my blog. Hooray! I think it was when I reset my template to standard Minima. And then they disappeared when I edited the html to get three columns... Which really shouldn't mess with the ending of the blogposts! So last night I was up for ours, copying and pasting and editing that bloody html, installing different templates and resetting things and THEN some more editing, but there was always something wrong, and the darn boxes were just gone... I finally gave up and went to sleep.
This morning I decided to screw the boxes and install my old template again, and what do know! I have boxes! *sigh* I really don't know what was different from the first time I tried, but now it worked... My other blogs now have boxes, too :) I'm still not friends with the html thing, but at least I've learned enough to change the width of the columns, which I felt looked a little squashed. But now I'll stop tinkering with this blog, or it will come back and eat me one day!
Sorry about the long rant, I just had to vent a little :p
Thanks for the award :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to you for the success in the "Html-battle"! =)
ReplyDeleteYes, I can only agree with you! To change the blog to fit my taste is really frustrating! I have been stuggleing for several days/nights now.
Glad to hear that you like mig "bloggdesign-links". I think "Fixa Din Blogspot" is just outstanding! Is has helped me a lot ....even to get a "favicon" this evening!. I tried a lot of other sites, but it was "fixa din blogspot" that finally worked it out for me ;)
Wish you a good sleep