Saturday, January 23, 2010

Books, glorious books :)

At the start of every semester when my student loan comes I usually spend a little bit of it on either new craft books or comic books. Today three new craft books arrived in the mail, and I thought I'd write up a little review for you :) First up are two crochet books, 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet by Lesley Stanfield and Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs by Edie Eckman.


The flower book looks great, the patterns are arranged by difficulty and knit/crochet, and there is an index of all flowers arranged by color for easy reference. The book uses British English crochet terms, not American, but I guess I'll get used to that soon enough :)


The other book is all crochet, and the motifs are arranged by shape. Both books give the patterns both in written directions and charts, which is good. Lots of clear pictures.


The only problem with this book is that it's spiral bound, and that has made some of the pages stick together, I almost ripped the pages out of the book when I tried to separate them :/


The third book is a beading book, Petites Bêtes en Perles by Marie-Claude Burel.


As the name indicates, it's in French, and I don't know any French... I think the title means "tiny beaded beetles". Doubt the language will be a problem, though, the book has lots of pictures and charts in addition to the written descriptions. (Besides, I already have loads of German beading books, and I don't know German either...)


The book looks great, all the insects and arachnids are made to look very natural, and every critter is presented with its scientific name. For a geek like me, it's perfect :) There is a pattern for a praying mantis in the book, which is my boyfriend's favorite insect (and wasps), so I'm thinking I'll make him one for Valentine's. I'm not very romantic in that I'm not into pink hearts and stuff, so I feel the mantis will be a good gift :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails